Monday, April 19, 2010

What Did You Say?

This morning I was walking through the entryway in our church. I said, "Hi," to a child putting away her book bag in the appropriate bin. I started a conversation.... she wanted to continue it. Actually I wasn't starting a conversation in my mind. I was simply saying hello to another person. It is like when we ask loved ones and strangers the same question, "How are you?" The socially accepted response is, "Fine thank you." Periodically someone breeches the politically correct response and shares honestly and openly.

I have had a number of responses to yesterday's sermon on Highly Effective Dating Habits. Most comments centered on my illustration about how often we employ inactive listening with our spouses, children and friends. It is easy to respond at the periodic pauses of some else's soliloquy with responses of "mmm", "right", "yes".

Today I got to practice what I preached. This child engaged me in a conversatation. I stopped what I was doing and turned around and actively listened. She had a story she wanted to tell. I needed to be taught.

On the journey,
Alecia

1 comment:

  1. It illustrates what our good friend P. R. Chung said as he bounced Z. on his knee, "kids are people too."PR

    ReplyDelete