Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Just Saying...

The common thread of conversation this week is the weather, which certainly is not a surprise considering the -45 windchill.  The new take on the weather is how balmy (I use that term loosely) today feels to folks.  Since when did 8 degrees become balmy weather! 

I realize I sometimes make the same assertions about my faith life.  Just like people feeling stuck inside due to the weather, some of us feel stuck in our spiritual journeys.  We are not quite sure how to get outside of our box.  While not satisfying to stay inside all day, getting stuck in our faith life is at least familiar to us.  We know what to expect, even if God does not seem relevant or particularly close.  Likewise, I am hearing stories within the congregation -- including myself at times-- that everything is just fine. I say things like my spiritual life is just balmy, when in all reality I know it isn't.  I am so grateful to be a part of a couple small groups that help keep me honest.  In a very real way, my small groups -- Covenant Group and Companions-- help me to stay discontented and engaged.  I don't want to be satisfied with a balmy spiritual life which is nice, safe and predictable.  I'm thankful the Spirit pushes and prods me into leaving the warm confines of what is known and comfortable to enter into a world that is hurting and lost.

Check out the new listings of small groups and classes.  Stretch your spiritual life this month.

On the journey,
Alecia 


1 comment:

  1. Very much enjoyed the sermon this past week, thank you. I recall some of your statistics presented and I think they are close, but perhaps not quite right. Reference below.

    http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/main/u-s-divorce-rates-and-statistics-1037.shtml

    Additionally I'd add that on the hopeful and positive side we can see a downward trend in divorce since 1980 when no fault divorce had been used heavily (I consider no fault a bad idea, but that's just me). It does also appear people are less likely to get married now as cohabitation is on the rise. Sadly cohabitation appears to not be as positive on long-term relationships as I, or my friends from an anecdotal perspective, would have thought.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete