Monday, October 20, 2014

Two Questions

And so the October challenge begins!  The challenge to read through the book of Matthew (adults) or Mark (children /youth) by Christmas has been made.   I have had a number of requests for the two questions that you might ask as you are reading scripture.  They are:
     1.  What does this passage teach you about God?
     2.  What does this passage teach you about God's will for your life?  Or, what is God saying to you as you read the text?
When you approach the Bible with these questions in mind, you will find an openness to the Spirit.  When I read, I have a pen in hand.  Sometimes I write in the margins of the Bible, while other times I need a journal or pad of paper.  A journal allows me to explore a bit more when the text has stirred up something within me.

If you have children in your household, you might need to assist or even read to some of the younger ones as they begin to explore Mark.  If your child has a received a Bible from the church, please consider reading out of it.  Not only do the Sunday School teachers use this particular version in their classes, but you will help your child make his/her personal Bible something that is beloved and used.  Encourage your kids to take part in the challenge .  Celebrate with them as they read chapter by chapter.  Encouraging faith development in a child now, makes all the difference in the world.

For those of you not present this last Sunday, there are incentives!  When kids finish the book of Mark, they need to let me know.  They will receive:
  • a bookmark
  • a certificate
  • a chance to sign the Challenge Canvas
  • and two cookies from Heavenly Sweets, made especially for this challenge.
I quickly learned that adults like incentives as well!  Primarily... you want the special cookies.  We are all kids at heart.  We will have adults sign the Challenge Canvas too.

I look forward to reading the book of Matthew with you.  I can't wait to hear what the Lord is teaching you.

On the journey,
Alecia



 

No comments:

Post a Comment