Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Humbleness

I was doing so well. I mean... I gave up chocolate. I have exercised regularly since Ash Wednesday. My new experiment in blogging began on Mondays during Lent. Here I was sailing through Lent when I de-constructed yesterday.

As you may have noticed, my Monday blog is posted on Tuesday. It wasn't that I forgot to blog; rather, I couldn't for the life of me remember the process needed to add a new one in the time alloted before the dash to the next thing. If I am going to confess... I might as well come clean. Last night driving home from a track meet in Waverly I steered my car into the drive through lane at McDonald's. Ready to place my order of sweet tea, I made a quick impulse buy instead of an iced mocha latte. Mocha translates to chocolate, which I didn't even think about until after half was consumed.

Study leave may have involved a great deal of theological reading on the varied Methodist doctrines, but it left little room for the quiet reflections of Lent. I waded through the big three of salvation, justification and sanctification, but neglected the Lenten practices:
  • Confession, whereby we release those stresses and things that keep us from God,
  • Reception of a "word for our lives from the Word of Life," and
  • Return to the world as the body of Christ.

I've enjoyed The Awkward Season by Pam Hawkins for reminded me of the important practices of Lent. I am in awe of the mystery of God's grace as I know I stand in great need.

I leave you with another prayer of Hawkins:

Sometimes, O God, my thirst for you

is pushed aside, ignored,

or simply quenched by something 0ther--

something more reasonable,

something more popular-- than you.

But you never go away,

never stop,

never leave the depths of me.

Like an underground spring,

you are fresh and free,

breaking through.

Help me prepare a place for you in the caverns of my soul.

Amen.

On the journey,Alecia

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a gardening prayer to me...makes me long for the gardens. All of winter is like a lenten season for gardeners...giving up the work they love so much. Maybe for those of us who are not so good at traditional prayer, God offers us an alternative way to pray.

    ReplyDelete