Monday, February 21, 2011

An Invitation

I was asked to participate in a new group called Healthy Church Initiative (HCI). Over the next year I will be reading a series a books and participate in a discussion group. At each meeting I will be asked to offer an action plan on one key learning I discovered in the reading. My initial response was to not take part simply because of time. However, I changed my mind when I discovered that the books I will be reading will aid us in becoming the missional church God has called us to be.

The book I will be reading is, "Recreating the Church" by Richard Hamm. I would love to have others read it as well and share what they learned. Here is a description of the book:

"At the center of this manifesto is Hamm's concern for preserving the core values of the Mainline churches in the face of challenges from secularism and fundamentalism. The problem, as he sees it, is that the structures that developed over the years have become obsolete and they prevent the church from adapting to the cultural context in which it lives. By embracing the "missional church" idea Hamm is less interested in quick fixes, but rather calls for long term reinvention of the church so that the Mainline values can be preserved and can influence not just the religious context but the world context."

Check it out. See what you think. I'll post my thoughts after I have read the book.

On the journey,
Alecia

No comments:

Post a Comment