Monday, September 12, 2011

Caution: Spirit At Work

It seems anywhere you go on North Jones Boulevard one sees literal caution signs of people at work. At First UMC, the Spirit is at work. I was speaking with Rev. Mel Schlacter from Trinity Episcopal Church last night following the Sept. 11 service. I told him of the modern day Good Samaritan story I told in worship. As part of my reflections on September 11, I had prayed for Mychal Judge. Judge was the chaplain for the NYFD at that time. He rushed to Ground Zero and died while giving last rites. I heard multiple sermons at the time (2001) speak to the point that it sounded like God to have a priest welcoming people into heaven. On Saturday September 10th, I learned that Judge was gay. It reminded me of the story of the Good Samaritan, whereby God uses individuals in which the institutional church is still in debate.

As I passed this on to Mel. He said it correlated with the lectionary. After joking about my lack of use of the lectionary, he pointed out the passage yesterday was on forgiveness. Peter was asking Jesus how many times he must forgive an enemy. Jesus replied, "Seventy times seven." We are called to forgive.

The passage was part of the larger lectionary, which is a three year walk through the themes and primary passages of Scripture. Out of all the passages, this is the one that was for September 11. Not a coincidence -- simply the Spirit moving.

Peace,
Alecia

1 comment:

  1. That is such an amazing connection. One thing my mom impressed upon me was that God's infinite wisdom is so far beyond our meager comprehension. I find it so spiritually uplifting when God allows us to see glimpses of how He is able to take a horrific abuse of free will and demonstrate to us that in the deepest times of despair, He is right with us.

    Amy Rieckens

    ReplyDelete