Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Odyssey

The spiritual life is first of all a life. It is not merely something to be known and studied. It is to be lived. Thomas Merton

"Alecia, how is it that my faith life feels non-existent? I don't experience or feel God in the ways you describe. What's wrong with me?" This question is posed to me on a regular basis. My answer is fairly consistent. As a church -- local and the larger one-- we have done a good job inviting people. We want our friends and family to be connected to God and to the church community that we love. We diligently get "them" and ourselves to church, but then what? We need to become disciples. I don't know abou you, but I want to live -- really live out my calling. Call me crazy, but that seems like a journey of a lifetime.
There is a glaring need within churches to grapple with Jesus' words to "make disciples." We walk through the threshhold and never move into the deeper relationship with the Beloved, the Holy One. Just how we make that move has perplexed a lot of folks that love God, but experience little beyond it in their daily lives.
In the next two months, I want to look at practical Christianity that deepens us inwardly, while calling us to mission. It is a journey we will take together in worship. If you join the small group, "Change the World" we will see similar themes as we seek to be more like Jesus.
See you Sunday

On the journey,
Alecia

No comments:

Post a Comment