Monday, November 28, 2011

Jesus Santa Theology

The whole morphing of Jesus and Santa has and continues to be a dilema for me. I know the right words. I know what I believe in my heart, yet I still struggle. I am a product of my generation-- caught in a consumeristic holiday faith. I want the whole ball of wax from the decorated house, the Christmas cookies baking, the gatherings, everything. Trying to balance it doesn't always work. I don't think Jesus is anti enjoying the season, but I do think I get out of balance quickly.

If you were or even if you weren't, here are questions to reflect on this week. They are out of the book, Christmas is Not Your Birthday by Mike Slaughter.


1. How do you picture God? Does this image have more in common with Santa Claus or with Jesus?
2. Think about your family's Christmas traditions. How many of them focus on your own comfort and pleasure? What new traditions can you plan that focus more on presence than presents?
3. What ideas do you have that could be seeds for a mission miracle? What group are you connected to or who are some other people that could help to make it happen.


Over Thanksgiving we deliberately spent a lot more time in the presence of one another rather than the buying of presents. That felt good. I miss the days of reading nightly to the kids. We had Christmas classics that we read at bedtime year after year. What about you?

I put my Advent Wreath together last night. It's not the prettiest one I have had but it will serve the purpose to daily re-center me for the next four weeks. Doug and I plan to light it when we gather around the table at night. I want to invite you to add one in your house. Deliberate small choices make a huge difference-- at least for me.

Journey with me because I struggle with this dilema.

On the journey,
Alecia

1 comment:

  1. i do see God as santa claus. the problem for us is God's gifts are not always fun. in fact they can be down right challenging. we may not enjoy them but if we live through them we come out better people. through trials we end up more compassionate toward others as we see how hard life can be. God wants us to get it, meaning love is the only way. without it we are but a clanging gong. life with out spice is very bland which is why spice is so treasured. love is what makes the journey worth while.

    ReplyDelete