Tuesday, April 3, 2012

One Sinner's Church

I shared a story on Sunday about two pastors approaching me with questions about our congregation. In essence they were asking who exactly attends this church. While I guessed where they were attempting to steer the conversation, I let it play out. I love speaking about this congregation. I greatly appreciate the openness and welcoming heart to all the individuals that cross our threshhold. Anytime I can share the story of the congregation I know it's a good day!

I spoke of moderates, conservatives and liberals. I talked of agnostics and seekers. I named the folks whom are lovingly drug to worship on a regular basis. They said you have sinners -- active sinners in your midst. Ah... finally the crux of the matter. Yes... I said. I am one of them. They tried to re-direct the conversation so I could truly understand. I did understand. I am grateful to be part of a congregation of sinners -- black, white, brown, republican, democrat, moderate, young, old, grey haired and no hairs, gay, straight -- we are all broken in need of the grace of God. Thank goodness resurrection morning is coming.

I believe St.Paul said it this way in Galatians 3:28:

There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and famile. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Friday may be upon us, but Sunday is coming.

On the journey,
Alecia

No comments:

Post a Comment