Monday, January 30, 2012

Snakes and Other Slimy Things

Yesterday in church I spoke of an experience during my elementary years which a class bully threatened me with a live snake. Somehow at that young age I was smart enough to understand that if I allowed myself to be intimidated by him, I would face his power over me over and over again. He left me alone after the incident.

It's easy for me to recognize when I am on the receiving end of a slimy or disparaging comment. When I am at a good place, I can look for any nugget of truth that might be lurking within the comments. When I am not, I either brood over the words or verbally lash out.

I can't help but notice that sometimes I am the one holding the snake, trying to get my way. God help me when I try to manipulate those around me. Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount have caused me to stop and re-look at how I speak and work.

On the journey,
Alecia

No comments:

Post a Comment