Monday, March 5, 2012

Act of Mercy

I am struck by the act of mercy by Simon of Cyrene. In the horror of the mob scene, trial and walk to golgatha, there is an act of kindness shown to Jesus. Simon of Cyrene takes the cross arm from Jesus' shoulders. He bears, if you will, Jesus' burdens. The gospel writers do not record him speaking, yet Simon says volumes in his act of mercy. He reflects Jesus by his actions.

I have often thought during Lent about which character of the passion best represents me. Everyone betrays Jesus at some point. Are my shortcomings best reflected in: Peter or Judas? Would it be more accurate for me to think in terms of the other disciples, the religious leaders or the high priest? Perhaps I am more in line with the Roman soldiers-- gambling with my faith or the mob and civic leaders who are just trying to keep the peace. Are you Simon? I realize my answer changes each year as I continue to journey towards Jesus and the cross. I have certainly found myself in alignment with Peter and civic leaders at various points.

So who in the story would serve as a good representation of you? Wrestle with this question as you continue your journey.

On the journey,
Alecia

No comments:

Post a Comment